The Student News Site of Shorecrest Preparatory School

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

Shorecrest’s Teacher Fund: From Galas to Goals

Left to right: Shorecrest parents Michael Sax, Aran Johnson, and Danny Muzzarelli pose for a group photo at the Shorecrest Centennial Gala. Parents and Shorecrest community members alike dressed in their finest to celebrate both Shorecrest’s enduring mission and raise significant funds for the Teacher Fund. Photo by Sasha Muzzarelli.

On December 2, 2023, Shorecrest community members—primarily parents and alumni—gathered at the Shorecrest Centennial Gala to celebrate the end of the centennial year. The event had a dual significance, serving as a celebration to conclude Shorecrest’s first century (1923-2023) and as a venue to unveil the newly established Teacher Fund.

Developed by Head of School Nancy Spencer and Director of Advancement Michael Gillis, the Teacher Fund aims to raise funds for professional development and resources to improve classrooms for students. The Centennial Gala played a key role in promoting and garnering money for the cause—raising approximately $500,000. 

“Having the teachers know how much the community cares about them … to raise half a million dollars in one night … means everything to me,” said Gillis when asked about the purpose of the fund.  

What makes the Teacher Fund impactful is its focus on areas that fall outside the scope of regular school budget allocations. US Science Teacher Lisa Peck said, “I’ve been at Shorecrest for 22 years and I have never seen anything like the Teacher Fund before. Our school budgets have slowly gone up and the problem with them slowly going up is that the cost of everything else has gone up, especially in the sciences.”

Now, teachers have the opportunity to access resources and opportunities for professional development that go beyond traditional funding limitations, and as a result, educators are able to implement more innovative projects, introduce new teaching methods, and enhance the overall learning environment for students. 

Spencer said, “I think that the Teacher Fund is focused on giving faculty professional development or enhancement to the classroom on behalf of students … everything we want to do is in support of students.” 

Classroom teachers have the opportunity to apply for a grant of up to $3500. Submitted applications will be reviewed by a committee that consists of Spencer, CFO & COO Lisa Wylie, Director of Technology and Media Services Anna Baralt, and the appropriate school division head. Any unused funds will first go towards substitute teachers and then will be used for future teacher grants. 

Shorecrest parent and donor Sasha Muzzarelli said, “I think it’s awesome that they chose to focus on the teachers for this particular event because I feel that the teachers are really the backbone of Shorecrest…All the relationships and the way that our kids feel when they go to school and the way that they grow and become inspired, that all really comes down to the teachers.”

As Shorecrest begins a new chapter, the Teacher Fund demonstrates how community support is a driving force for transformative education. “Supporting the Teacher Fund is more than a donation; it’s a statement that as a community, we value and stand behind our teachers,” said Muzzarelli. 

Permitted Use of Grants Not Permitted Use of Grants
  • Workshops, conferences, and training programs
  • Classroom materials and supplies for special projects
  • Collaboration with another teacher to pool resources for a joint project or professional development
  • Other professional development
  • Any ongoing programs or projects requiring subsequent funding
  • Items not directly related to enhancing the educational experience
  • Purchases exceeding the $3500 grant limit
  • Technology that can’t be supported by the network/tech team