The Student News Site of Shorecrest Preparatory School

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

Northeastern Mania

Go Huskies! is what Shorecrest students seem to be saying a lot in the past few years. In recent years, numerous Shorecrest seniors have committed to Northeastern University. The Class of 2023 yielded seven students to Northeastern, while the Class of 2024 is following close behind. The continued pattern begs the question: What about Northeastern attracts so many Shorecrest seniors?

This year, the Class of 2024 already has four seniors committed to Northeastern from the Early Decision I round, meaning there’s the potential for more commits from Regular Decision. However, in past years and likely this year, Northeastern commits have primarily come from Early Decision. Director of College Counseling Myronee Simpson said, “Northeastern in recent years has accepted 50% of their incoming class of students through Early Decision 1 and Early Decision 2.”

Many have found themselves drawn to this school because of its geographical location. Northeastern is located in the heart of Boston, a city known for its culture and history, and—coincidentally—118 colleges. Senior Misha Drunov, one of this year’s four early decision commits, said, “Boston has the bustling dynamic of a big city that I love, but has some quiet nooks to hide in if it ever becomes too much.”

Senior Misha Drunov in his Northeastern University spiritwear. Drunov is planning to major in computer engineering. Photo by Alanys Requena.

Beyond location, Northeastern is known for its unique academic opportunities, such as early field experience. Drunov said, “While on the walking tour for the school, we learned of their famous co-op program, which allows for students to work full-time for entire semesters at a time.” 

While Shorecrest’s college counselors guide students through narrowing down their college lists, the decisions are ultimately in the students’ hands. “Our mantra in the College Counseling Office is: We guide, you decide,” said Simpson. “Colleges admit students, not schools. Ultimately, students have to be admissible to the institution.”