The Student News Site of Shorecrest Preparatory School

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

The Shift in the Live Music Scene in St. Pete

A musician sings and plays guitar for a live audience at the Gasparilla Music Festival. The festival was held February 16-18th, 2024 at Julian B Lane Riverfront Park in Tampa.
Cole Oman

As St. Pete gains new buildings, condos, and restaurants, its music scene is flourishing as well. With more areas for musicians to perform, there has been a shift in the live music scene, including greater crowds and attractions.

Several musicians have noted how St. Pete has quickly become similar to larger cities in America in regards to live music. Florida musician and producer Shawn Kyle said, “Previously, the audience was more of a tourist audience.  Now it’s more of a blend that’s similar to other large cities like New York or Austin, Texas.” 

Matt Weiss, a part of Boxcar Hollow, also said, “St. Pete is evolving so fast… it’s started to feel a little more like Chicago, but it’s vibrant and keeps me on my toes!”

Fast growth in population in St. Pete leads to larger audiences for live bands playing in restaurants and venues. Weiss said, “When I first started playing in St. Pete, if there was one big event, there would be no one else who would show up at the other event, but I feel like now, just purely on the number of people, it enables events to happen in one night and all of the events be successful.” Musicians have the ability to grow due to the population growth in St. Pete. 

The only problem with the rapid growth in St. Pete is that, now that so many musicians want to play all around the city, it makes it harder for venues to be open for enough performers. Chris Powers, the Upper School Director of Online Learning and member of The Hip Abduction, said, “I have noticed a lack in small venues for up-and-coming artists. Many of the small venues have closed downtown due to rent increases or construction.”

The thriving downtown St. Pete scene contributes to limitless opportunities for the success of musicians and their careers. Kyle said, “Due to so many people going out to both the beach and downtown, there are possibly over 100 of these shows every week between all the different places. Not every city has this, and for musicians looking to earn a living but not travel, this offers another option.” 

Restaurants do help the live music scene, but the growth of live music also impacts the restaurants. Weiss said, “I think people who put live music into their business motto/model … maintain a healthy foundation financially, and it gives people more memories.”

As St. Pete grows, live music grows along with it, creating an exciting environment, attracting tourists, and bringing the city together as a whole.