The Student News Site of Shorecrest Preparatory School

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

Sephora Kids

Sephora+Kids

Plastic princess heels, Claire’s fake makeup toys, and flowy tutus were common among young girls in the early 2000s. We all waited until the day we grew up and were old enough to use these seemingly adult things. 

However, since social media has made its way into Generation Alpha’s childhood, their exposure to makeup and “big girl” trends has often made them want to grow up earlier. This idea has trickled into many Shorecrest students’ minds, and into every corner of the internet, creating what we now fondly label “Sephora Kids”—tween girls obsessed with makeup and Sephora.

Many find it upsetting that young kids are damaging their skin barrier and their parents’ wallets and believe that the phenomenon acts as a true reflection of our society. The new popular expression, “Sephora Kids,” has been exploding on TikTok, and the dominant reaction is anger. The uproar stems from the lack of information given to these young girls and the harmful ingredients they are putting on their skin simply in the name of beauty, when, in reality, they don’t need them.

A student who responded to a form with questions about “Sephora Kids” said, “I don’t think it’s necessary for them at such a young age. It convinces kids that they need to have perfect skin and look younger than they are. No kid should deal with beauty standards that early in life.”

Younger kids feeling the need to use harmful skincare products and expensive makeup can not only take a toll on the health of their skin but also their self-esteem. Upper School Dean of Student Life Ann Marie Hardy said, “To put the pressure to look and present themselves a certain way… [it] hurts my heart, that’s where we’re at socially.”

Another important aspect of “Sephora Kids” is the pressure of society and how it contributes to how young people feel. Society no longer only affects teenagers, but is now impacting increasingly young kids to stress over beauty standards. Even though people are worried about “Sephora Kids,” some students feel that it is appropriate with the right products.

Another student who responded to the form said, “I think younger kids should be free to experiment with drugstore makeup, but definitely not expensive Sephora-level makeup because there’s literally no need. As for skincare, absolutely not. Eleven-year-olds do not need Drunk Elephant retinol, and they’re actually ruining their skin in the long run.”

Freshman Noile Gilcrest said, “I do not think younger kids should be shopping at Sephora and buying things such as retinol, and they sell out products for people that are actually old enough to use them. I believe that there should be a certain age where a parent comes with you.”

Makeup is a way to express yourself, but it comes with difficulties. “Sephora Kids” are constantly attempting to catch up to beauty standards, younger kids are seen facing society and ruining their skin, and parents who allow their children to buy these expensive products suffer. Hardy said, “If someone is putting on makeup because they are pressured to look a certain way, I would invite them to do what makes them feel best.”