The Student News Site of Shorecrest Preparatory School

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

Combating Climate Change: Shorecrest and Beyond

Left to right: sophomore Phoebe Pritchard, US Math Department Chair Jessica Thorn, sophomore Odeyah Rozin, senior Kara Marcin, sophomore Scout Brummett, senior Addie Oman, senior, Lily Dunn, sophmore Simi Damani, senior Noëlle de Wilde, and senior Libby Cenedella participate in a clean up of Mirror Lake in St. Pete, organized by the Interact Club. US Science Teacher Summer Slater.

If global crises participated in a superlatives contest, climate change would win ‘the global crisis most likely to lead to an apocalypse.’ While ‘apocalypse’ tends to induce panic, don’t fret, people and efforts at both Shorecrest and beyond are fighting climate change in numerous ways.

Local: At Shorecrest, Upper School clubs spearhead the fight against climate change. The Interact Club and the Environmental Club both target pollution. The Environmental Club responsibly handles recycling at Shorecrest, while the Interact Club mitigates pollution with local beach cleanups. 

Senior and president of the Interact Club Adelaide Oman said the club “Raises awareness by participating in cleanups and promoting the agenda of Keep Pinellas Beautiful, a nonprofit, volunteer-based organization that conserves the environment of Pinellas county.” 

These cleanups, while local and small, can have a ripple effect. The events aren’t solely about the trash, they’re about spreading a message. Oman hopes that the cleanups will help students “understand the negative impact they have when they litter.” 

National: The New York City Climate Week is the biggest global climate conference of its kind. This September the conference brought global governments and organizations together to discuss plans regarding the fight against climate change.

Environmental expert and attendee of the conference Yunus Arikan said, “There were many protests and people unhappy, but ultimately I think it progressed smoothly and issues were addressed.” This was a net positive conference with steps taken in the direction of  “investment in clean energy…and accountability has been ensured.”

United Nations Chairman Antonio Guetteres made an appearance at the conference to emphasize climate change as a priority to him and to urge carbon-neutral behavior.

While the conference served as a powerful global space to combat climate change, Arikan said, “Companies who promised to lower their carbon emissions are not doing a good job and sticking to their promise.” These companies serve as blockades in the march towards a greener future.

International: Climate conferences are impactful tools in raising awareness about climate change. Recognizing this, Sophomore Ellen Hommeyer accompanied her parents on the journey to the International Conference on Regional Climate hosted at the University of Trieste in Italy. The conference provided a space for exchanging global knowledge about climate change in hopes of bettering international environmental decision-making. 

Hommeyer said she observed “a lot of models of how temperature changed over time.” She summarized her experience there as interesting and helpful for tackling climate change in the future. 

Hommeyer’s impression from the conference mirrors the conference’s mission. She said, “Climate change will no doubt have a big impact on our lives, so the more knowledge we can obtain about it, the better we can understand and work to mitigate it.”