The Student News Site of Shorecrest Preparatory School

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

A Look into the St. Pete City Theater

For nearly a century, the St. Pete City Theater has been a cornerstone of St. Pete’s cultural landscape. As the oldest theater program in the city, the institution has carefully crafted and perfected methods of mentoring young drama enthusiasts.

The theater’s Office and Facilities Administrator Kevin Crowell said the aim of the theater is to “provide both kids and adults a creative outlet, whether it is a kid who is just beginning their journey in theater, or an adult who is continuing to pursue their love of live theater.”

The theater holds a special place in the hearts of many Shorecrest thespians, as it is where most began their journey and first developed their love for performing. Senior and New York University Tisch commit Lauren Brumbelow said, “[My experience] gave me a sense of confidence and a curiosity to learn all aspects of singing, dancing, and acting.”

Youth workshops, available from ages seven to 14, teach students about everything that goes into putting on a show. Students experience the audition process, rehearsals, and performances in front of a crowd full of spectators.

The workshops explore the technical aspects of theater as well, such as sound, lighting, and set design, giving student performers and volunteers a behind-the-scenes look into what it takes to make a show run. 

The skills learned through these experiences also help children off the stage. Crowell said, “By acting in one of our children’s productions, [students] learn things like working with others and taking ownership of working within a group, which are invaluable life skills.”

Sophomore Gia Bessolo, who performed in shows for 9 years and continues to work behind the scenes, believes the best part of the experience is the close-knit friendships that students develop. Bessolo said, “my time there opened me up to a different community of people I wouldn’t have met otherwise.”

The wide variety within the workshops allows for each student to find their niche. Some are able to expand upon areas for which they already have an affinity, while others develop skills they never thought they would be interested in learning. Bessolo said, “I learned how to run sound, which is something I never thought I’d find myself doing.”

For Shorecrest thespians, these experiences have solidified and strengthened their passion for the performing arts. Brumbelow said, “I came to really love theater as a way of expressing myself and creating bonds with others.”

Shorecrest’s theater department can thank St. Pete City Theater for training so many of its performers and for equipping the next generation of thespians with an extraordinary set of skills related to theater and production. 

Crowell said, “Being able to express oneself in a positive, creative way is important to the growth of anyone, especially children. I believe that having such an avenue can help kids make the right choices and create a better future for themselves.”