The Student News Site of Shorecrest Preparatory School

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

J-Page: Shorecrest Track & Field

• Hurdles, sprints, jumps, and throws. The new track season has Shorecrest students buzzing, as it features an array of athletic abilities and rigorous training sessions after school. The team has already participated in numerous meets throughout the spring and has performed well as a whole. Their first meet was the Calvary Invitational, but the season did not start as planned. The team was not placing high in many races early in the season, but there was still optimism, and for good reason. As the season continued, the Chargers have continued to work hard and make improvements, which have paid off, as the team is scoring much higher in their most recent meets. 

• The Charger Invitational on March 21 was a different story compared to the early season struggles. About the season, junior track runner Bryce Bell said, “[We] have since gotten much better. I am improving … and so is the team.”

• In field events, seniors Sonoma Kasica and Layla Petrovich finished first and second in javelin, following their outstanding performances the year prior. On the track side, junior Enrique Negrón finished 2nd in the 400-meter dash with a time of 51.51 seconds.  In addition, junior Ahmad Crumity finished 5th in the 100-meter dash, while sophomore Asher Walton and senior Luke Heckert finished 4th and 6th in the mile, both with sub-five minute times. Senior Kaja Dionne finished first in the girl’s 100-meter dash and sophomore Alex Estremera finished first in the girl’s 800-meter dash. Estremera also finished 4th in both the 1600-meter and 3200-meter races.

• Compared to results from earlier in the year, it is clear that the track team has had diligence and commitment to improve their abilities and results. This stems from hours of hard work, practice, grit, and relentlessness. The rest of the season looks very promising for Shorecrest Track & Field, and I hope to see them succeed as the season wraps up at the midpoint of May.

• Throughout this season, the team has done nothing but improve. I can confidently say that Kasica will dominate javelin again, as she has for the past several years. I look forward to seeing how high all the runners can place in their final event of the season, or in districts, which Shorecrest will be hosting this year.