The Student News Site of Shorecrest Preparatory School

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

Artistry: From Youth and Beyond

“Art is everywhere and for everyone,” said Lower School Art Teacher Lori Auletta. For Auletta, lifelong artistry can stem simply from a supportive classroom environment during formative years. Teachers and students at Shorecrest have made it their mission to foster true creativity from an early age.

LS Art Room cluttered with paintings by LS students. Art is a core elective at Shorecrest’s Lower School, where students frequent the art room weekly. (Cole Oman)

Sophomore Anastasia Davis has been creating art since she was four years old—scribbling away at every chance. A student in the Upper School Studio Art class, Davis develops her artistry through the creative freedom the class offers. “Art is meant to be interpreted,” said Davis, “It isn’t the same for everyone. It makes people feel different ways.”  

“Untitled” portrait by sophomore Anastasia Davis. Davis painted this recently after growing up entrenched in the arts. (Sally Keane)

Freshman Daniel Cooper explains how he used to like art because it fed his creative mind. However, he did not have the supportive classroom environment that Auletta believes to be so crucial.

Cooper said, “There was so much criticism when I was younger.” He emphasized that the art classes he took as a kid felt more instructional than imaginative. Despite the discouragement he faced at an early age, Cooper is reincorporating art into his life with a positive mindset. “I mean, there are always people who will be better than you and I’ve accepted that fact.” 

Visual Arts Department Chair (and Davis’ teacher) Charla Gaglio has been teaching and practicing art for decades. Gaglio said, “The people who are really good at art are the ones who are always sketching, always doodling, and always making an effort to learn more. I often compare it to sports…It’s about the determination to get better by doing it at every opportunity.”

Through positive experiences in early art classes and consistent practice, anyone can become an artist. Cooper said, “Art can be anything, don’t let anyone tell you anything else. Just keep trying, no matter what.”